Thursday, May 29, 2008

A scale for significance!


Working in the Valley, every once in a while, when we launch a product or feature, we have a moment where we feel accomplishment and satisfaction - we're changing the world a little... there's a fleeting moment of value...of meaning...

And then you see a video like the one above (this one from Deka Research is of a bionic arm for the next generation at the D6 conference) - and you realize that all technology is not on the same scale. There is a scale for significance.

I remember when I was at IBM Research, and attended Lou Gerstner's all-hands meetings. There was something special about them. He would talk about how IBM was helping a paraplegic child communicate ... and I would walk back to my office thinking, at least for that day, that I was doing something special working with this great company...

No comments: